Part Time Teller
Position Work Schedule
Monday through Friday, 10:30-11:00am to 2:30pm-3:00pm
20 hours per week
Perform a variety of paying and receiving functions for the deposit and loan clients. Strive to retain present clients and develop new business by extending high quality and efficient service. Be alert to the needs of the customers to suggest additional services and products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent Gateway Bank personably, efficiently, and tactfully while in contact with the public either face-to-face or by telephone. Smile, call the customers by name and thank them as they leave.
- Cash checks and pay out money after verifying that signatures are correct, that written and numerical amounts agree, and that accounts have sufficient funds and follow all other check cashing procedures.
- Receive checks and cash for deposit, verify amounts, and check accuracy of deposit slips and follow all other deposit proedures.
- Examine checks for endorsements and to verify other information such as dates, bank names, identification of the persons receiving payments and the legality of the documents.
- Enter customers' transactions into computers to record transactions and issue computer-generated receipts.
- Count currency, coins, and checks received, by hand or using currency-counting machine, to prepare them for deposit or shipment to Federal Reserve Bank.
- Identify transaction mistakes when debits and credits do not balance.
- Continually safeguard bank’s cash and the security of the working environment while processing deposits and withdrawals for checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit, loan payments and other transactions (i.e. Travelers Checks, Official Checks, Money Orders, and issuance request for Savings Bonds) in accordance with bank policy.
- Balance the teller window daily and within bank guidelines, following bank policies, procedures, and standards of performance.
- Assist in the development of a new business for the bank. Is alert to expressed customers’ needs to suggest appropriate services. Make unsolicited suggestions to customers for new or existing services. Direct customers to appropriate person to open any new accounts. May provide appropriate literature for services follow-up on referrals, if appropriate, and document referrals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Fulfill responsibilities under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations. This includes identifying customers properly, initiating CTRs and SARs investigations as needed, utilizing OFAC records and maintaining appropriate records.
Experience, Competencies and Education
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 6 months of cash handling in a customer service/retail environment
- Previous banking experience as a teller or in a related department preferred
- Basic computer skills
- Has met sales goals in a retail or banking environment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet and greet the public in a professional manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse customer base.
Americans with Disability Specifications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.